TRADITION....TRADITION!
Can't you just hear Tevion (I think that's his name-sp?) from Fiddler on the Roof? Today's entry is all about tradition...passing on those family memories that seem to hold a special place in your heart as you get older. For me it is remembering/tasting how good the jelly that my "Ma" makes is or reminiscing about sitting on a sheet in the middle of the kitchen helping shuck corn for my mom (AKA "Granna") and "Meemaw" to put away. Why should those wonderful things die with my generation? Well, I decided they don't have to! There is nothing better (especially being from the south) than sitting down to breakfast with a jar of homemade jelly or to dinner with corn that didn't come from a can but straight from the field!
My grandad-in-law (Dr.Clapp) has a fig tree. We were very much encouraged to come help him eat his figs as it was definitely figapalooza at his house! Would you believe I had never tried a fig before? I must say I don't think I would sit down and just start chowing down on figs, but they make great jam when mixed with alot of sugar (go figure-nothing healthy! ) and some strawberry jello! It tastes just like strawberry jam! Needless to say I learned the art of canning and cheered everytime I heard one of those lids let out a "pop" like it was reminding me that I had done things correctly! Next, I might have to take on actually pressing the fruit for the juice and using pectin (a little more difficult that just adding jello) but to think that I have the concept...I can pass on the family tradition and be that grandparent who makes her grandchildren (one day) homemade jelly and veggies straight from the garden!
Today, it was all about learning the art of putting up corn. It is really quite simple! We just got a few ears to get started (16 to be exact) and Meemaw taught me how it was done. Now I have the ability to do it myself on a day when the kids are at school or down for a nap! I don't know what it is about being able to be a homemaker... and not just an ok one, but one like my grandparents. Maybe it's just the simplicity of life and enjoying it to the fullest...maybe it's working hard for things like food that in this day and age we've gotten used to just being able to get, cook and eat in 5 minutes or less. I'm not sure but whatever it is...it feels good...satisfying! I guess for today I can add one more hat to those many hats moms tend to wear and feel good about it!
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago







No comments:
Post a Comment