The Penny or the Quarter?
It's funny to me how God uses the most simple things to grab our attention from time to time. Yesterday we went by my parent's house and to my son's amazement, Papa gave him a shiny new quarter. He though this was a great "gift" and showed everyone the entire day his quarter. The only thing is he calls it a penny. He even had to sleep with it last night! This morning when he woke up he couldn't find this quarter. He just ran around his room crying "I can't find my penny...my penny, my penny!"
Well, he found it...and kept calling it a penny. I tried to correct him and tell him that it was called a quarter, and that it was better than a penny, but he very sternly said "Mommy, I want to call it a penny-I like pennies better." No matter how much I tried to reason with him that quarters were worth much more than pennies, he wouldn't hear of it.
I immediately saw the lesson God had for me today-He was saying to me, Candice, how many times have I had something better for you but you would rather keep your "penny"? There have been so many times that I have clung to my "penny" because the quarter was unfamiliar. But God had something better, worth far more than what I had. I only had to accept it and trust Him. Hopefully, I will keep my eyes open to the "quarters" God sends my way and be faithful to accept them, knowing He desires much for me!
Also, yesterday, I had a splitting headache. We were coming home that morning and my headache was no better. During our 30 minute trip home, Ella Kate just looked out the window and was quiet-even slept a little. But not Eli. No he talked the entire time. Sometimes I think he just likes to hear himself talk for the heck of it. Well, I had had enough and my head was going to explode so two minutes away from home I said, "Eli, I don't want to hear another word because I have a headache." To which he replied (always having to have the last word-gee, wonder who he gets that from?) "Mommy, I don't want to hear another word because my back itches." Despite the rudeful, disrespectful tone he had...I still had to laugh. I'd just have to address the disrespect later...when I didn't have a headache.
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago







1 comment:
I love, love, love Eli's itchy back response. I laughed out loud. Maybe the humor relieved your headache a little. And thanks for a deep thought today. Sometimes I find myself holding on to what I have because it's comfortable and easy, not because it's best. I also have to remember just because I call something a penny does not make it a penny. Things, situations, people are what they are and we can't always make them into something else. Wow, your child creates some deep thoughts. :)
Post a Comment