Don't Cry Over Spilt Milk
...does that include the chocolate Nesquick powder? This morning I was attempting to get us all out the door and to MOPS. As usual, I was running late as I have yet to understand that if I want to get out the door and anywhere on time with three children, I have to get up at least 2 hours early. When am I going to learn that and actually do it? I am the epitome of the phrase "she is not a morning person." Anyway, I was pouring the kids a cup of milk and Eli said he would get the chocolate powder. I quickly told him "no." I knew it was too high for him to reach. Being the non morning person that I am an explanation on why he should not get the chocolate powder down didn't formulate in time to prevent the disaster that lay ahead. He insisted that he get it (being the defiant child that he is capable of occasionally) and sure enough he used the tip toe and tip of the finger method to knock it down off the shelf. Next thing I knew, Eli was standing in a sea of chocolate powder. This powder was floating through the air finding it's way to every surface in my kitchen not to mention the entire floor. He looked like Pig Pen from the Charlie Brown gang: brown dust all over him and circling about his being. Now let me paint the picture further by telling you that we go through ALOT of chocolate milk so we buy the powder in bulk at Sam's. I bet you are laughing now but I assure you I was not! My blood was boiling seeing as I had told him not to get it down and he deliberately disobeyed me.
Anger does not even begin to describe what I felt at that moment. I picked him up and put him in his room (mostly to separate us). It was time to leave, but there I was cleaning up chocolate powder which did you know...turns into a sticky, gross chocolate liquid when mixed with a wet cloth? (sarcasm)...and oh yeah...Noah decided this would be a great time for him to vocally make me aware of the fact that he was STARVING!!!!!! Ella Kate, being the smart girl that she is went and hid. Eli did receive consequences consisting of a firm reminder that obedience is best via the backside but I also tried something new: he is having to buy a replacement tub of Nesquick with his own money from his piggy bank. That seemed to get his attn. We'll see how this tactic works.
Most importantly as with many other times in child rearing, God had a lesson for me. I didn't want to hear it as I was mopping up sticky chocolate goo, but later on in the day, I did listen to that still small voice. I was an incredibly strong willed child (mom, I really don't know how you managed to allow me to live past the age of 3-ha) growing up. I remember telling my parents "I'd obey if they would tell me why they were asking me to do whatever it was." I wanted to reason it out. I apparently was sick of hearing "because I said so." Eli seems to be the same in that he wants an explanation. My mom always said that it wouldn't have mattered if I had an explanation, I'd still have done what I wanted to do. Maybe so...My point however is that I am trying to teach and instill obedience in my child. No questions asked, no smart-alec rebuttal...just immediate obedience. Hmmm...this is where I feel that spiritual elbow nudging me as if to say "are you listening to yourself?" So many times God asks something of me and I demand an explanation from him as if that will determine whether or not I will obey. Speaking from personal experience, God has asked something of me and I refused until it seemed like he physically forced me to obey. The sad thing is he had something wonderful for me...a blessing in disguise, but I had to do what he asked of me in order to receive the blessing. What fun would it be if God explained everything? If I questioned why I had to obey and he immediately said "well, because I have something totally amazing in store for you" it would ruin the blessing he had waiting...the surprise so to speak. Don't get me wrong. I know that sometimes he just wants me to obey for no other reason than he has asked me: John 14:15- If you love me, you will obey what I command. Obedience is an expression of love. I want my children to obey me because they love me and because they know I have their best interest at heart. It is the same with my heavenly Father. My children will learn obedience by example. They need to see their mommy love Christ through her obedience to Him.
Obedience was the lesson today; one not just intended for my children.
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago







2 comments:
Just a thought for next time - Use the hand-held vac to get up all the chocolate powder:):):)
alright anonymous...smarty pants whoever you are :) I did use the handheld vac, but then there's the stuff you have to "mop up" :)
Post a Comment