Look at how fast we are growing!

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, December 03, 2006

THE "MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL'S CURSE"

I say this very light-hearted, although as I sit and think about it, deep down there is still some truth to it in my mind. Yes, again, Eli is sick. This is the third "infection" he has had in a short amount of time. It seems like he gets sick and just as he's almost all better...WHAM! It starts all over! Eli hasn't been able to get his flu shot because he has had this upper respiratory stuff. I was planning on taking him in this week to get it before something else happened. Well, Brian called me at work about 1am on Saturday night/Sunday morning to let me know Eli had woken up crying and had 103 degrees of fever. I could hear him crying and he got on the phone and in his best, pitiful voice said "I'm sick, again mommy." "AGAIN"....that was the only word that pounded in my head and literally made my head ache! Why can I not keep my little boy well? Or...at the very least, get him well for any length of time? I think I put a lot of pressure on myself because I am a nurse. I know how to practice good hygeine...the importance of handwashing...for crying out loud my kids get bathed EVERY NIGHT, even if we just stayed in doors all day. But it doesn't seem to matter. They take vitamins, they don't sit around and eat fried food and snicker bars all day long...I take good care of my children. Why can I not do anything about this? Apparently, some children are just prone to being sick according to the pediatrician. There's no rhyme or reason...it just is. It's hard to put aside the feelings of inadequacy though...to cast aside the seemingly judgemental comments on why they are sick constantly, on what I could do better...I can't do anything better...I do my best. It just is. I am reminded of my ever ongoing struggle to let go of control...to just let those trials come and to face them the best way I know. Things could be SO MUCH WORSE! I sit back and focus on being grateful for these (although frustrating) but "easy" situations. Hopefully, he will get better soon and Ella Kate will steer clear of the virus :)

On to happier times...Amy's wedding was great. Eli was a great little ring bearer. He did it! He looked so precious in his tux, and I cannot wait to see the pictures from the wedding! We got to see Amy and Rhett this weekend after their honeymoon. They are probably back to Little Rock now. It seems so strange for her to be gone. It's not like they are far away, but it is different. It's going to be an adjustment for everyone, but I am looking forward to hearing from them and excited for them as they start their journey together. Congrats you guys!

The house is all decorated for Christmas! It has been interesting this year. My children are like night and day. I never imagined two children could be such polar opposites!!! Eli was always laid back, never did the things that the pediatrician said I should watch out for, etc. BUT...Ella Kate is a totally different story. I have learned the hard way to put breakable ornaments HIGH up on the tree...to either wrap presents the night before we take them somewhere, or to plan on rewrapping them about 16 times. She is a mess!!!! But I love her soooo much! Her personality is just blooming. She talks alot...half of which we still can't understand, but we do know she likes to talk. The other day I said "I can't understand you with the paci in your mouth." She proceeds to pull it out and say whatever it was she said with the paci in her mouth (none of which I can understand still)-but that's ok. Apparently she understands us. Breaking her of that paci (nini,as she calls it) is going to be a hard task..one I am just not up for quite yet.
Brian did a great job on the lights outside. Eli is just enthralled with them. He never tires of seeing the lights around the neighborhood. We took detours on the way home from community group the other night so he could enjoy the lights. I just love to see his face...how it lights up almost as bright as the spectacle he's looking at. I love this time of year. There's just something about it...maybe I'll write out all my thoughts of that in another post...until then....

1 comment:

Hilary said...

I'm sorry Eli is sick again. As a kid I was sick almost every winter of my life. Even now I have a stopped up nose from October to May. Maybe he'll build up his immunity now so he won't be sick all the time when he gets to school. Just remember, none of you can live in a bubble. You're a good mom and take great care of your family. That's evident in all your posts. We haven't put up a tree yet, but I have a feeling Malcolm will be a bit like Ella.