CHRISTMAS LETTER
You are probably wondering why I am posting at the wee hours of the morning. No, I am not at work, but I made the mistake today of letting Brian pick the kids up from school (he left work early to begin his two week vacation). This meant that I did not get up from my day time slumber and I ended up sleeping until 5:30. That means I got a full 8 hours of sleep so needless to say, I was rip roarin' ready to go with my day...er...night :) I finished sewing the kid's stockings and finally hung them on the mantle...they look great! Then I got to work on Ella's Christmas dress that I am making. I am so proud because I have never sewn a dress with sleeves (I've done mostly A-line sleeveless dresses) and I did it...all by myself!! I can't wait to completely finish it and her wear it on Christmas! Anyway, I picked up a litte and thought I'd check my email and post a blog. I think I'll post my Christmas letter that I intendid to put in our Christmas card. The Christmas card is just one of those things that didn't get done for a million reasons. I'm sad about it, but I know there will be more Christmases and next year, I'll be sure to start early. So, sit back and read a while! Have a great week and stay away from the crowds...it's gonna get crazy!!!
Thanksgiving…Christmas…New Year’s….Three major holidays smack dab on top of each other. We spend a little over a month’s time in a world consumed by chaos- a world that smothers you with the here and now: the food, the toys, the wants, the don’t wants, and the resolutions. There are resolutions of doing things better in the year to come, of losing those last few baby pounds, of saving more money, of being a kinder person, of giving more to others, of eating healthier, of spending more time with family, etc. The list could go on and on. But, as I really take time to sit down and think about all of that, I wonder what would happen if I just enjoyed this holiday season and didn’t try to do something better at the end of it, but seriously lived a life continuously that was focused on the spirit of the holiday season all year through? This would mean no resolutions, no chaos, no dependency on the world and its material possessions to make me happier. I reminisce about what this season is all about and find myself almost in tears. Thanksgiving is being grateful for family, friends, blessings, that butterscotch pie my grandmother makes-smile. But most of all, it is being thankful for Christ and the love He has for me, exemplified in that He gave all He had for me…and for you. Christmas is acknowledging the FACT that God sent his ONLY son to be a sacrifice. I teach my children the story of Christmas and its importance without missing a beat, but when I really sit down and devote myself to understanding what it all means, I am blown away. Would I knowingly send my own son, Eli, to a people who would deny him, hate him, torture him, and eventually kill him? NEVER! Good thing I am not God, huh? Can I hear an AMEN? To think also that one day I will be able to understand God’s mindset, how He could love us so much that He was willing to allow his only, perfect son to endure something that none of us could ever imagine. The love I have for my children is immeasurable, and yet God loves them more! He loves me and you …MORE. I just cannot wrap my brain around this “amazing love.” On to New Year’s…It is a fresh start, yes, but also a time to adjust my focus, to plan ahead, to continue to create my life’s book. Every year is a chapter and every day a verse. Oh how I hope that my life is interesting! I am a person who is not a huge reader, but when I pick up a good book, I am unable to put it down. I want a life like that! I want Christ to use me in a way that, like a good book, doesn’t want to be finished. I want the work in me to never be complete! As I dwell on all of this, I think that this is how humanity truly should be. Our thoughts should be focused on being Christ-like, doing for others and being consumed by selflessness instead of selfishness. One day, right?
This past year has been full. Brian and I have enjoyed the many hats we wear from day to day. Although challenging, we have held the responsibility of being husband, wife, son, daughter, brother, sister, grandson, granddaughter, friend, daddy, mommy, director, doctor, nurse, respiratory therapist, psychiatrist, choral director, cook/nutritionist, chauffeur, arts and crafts coordinator, dentist, launderer, mechanic, plumber, interior decorator, personal shopper, financial planner, the list could go on and on…so I’ll spare you. We are RICH! Monetarily, no, but that doesn’t seem to matter, because being able to do all of these things, to be all of these things to the people in our lives has been payment enough. We have experienced the joy that comes with raising our children. We have cracked up laughing at the funny things they say and do on a daily basis. They like keeping us on our toes as well. Eli had a hospitalization this year. Ella Kate had tubes placed due to the constant barrage of ear infections she was having and is also on daily pulmocort nebulizers for ongoing wheezing episodes. Through it all, we wouldn’t trade “parenthood” for anything! We have also experienced the pain of the loss of a loved one. My grandfather went home to be with our Heavenly Father after battling cancer for almost 6 years. This year he will be celebrating Christmas in total perfection. What better way? There have been milestones in between that we have enjoyed together…seeing Ella Kate take her first steps (at 17 months!), hearing my son come home reciting Bible verses he learned at church, watching as my husband, Brian, takes on a director position at work, and seeing him dream big for what his heart desires to see happen at Crichton, forming relationships with people who truly care for us and desire to see God’s growth in us. I guess my point is that God has been so good to us. And were it all different, had we not had all these wonderful things happen over the past year, GOD WOULD STILL BE GOOD.
We pray that as you experience this holiday season with your family that you would remember to give thanks to the one “to whom all glory, honor and praise be forever and ever.” May God richly bless you in the coming year. Here’s to throwing out resolutions and purposely writing that book that just can’t be put down!
Much love,
Candice Duffy
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago







2 comments:
What a beautiful letter! Experiencing parenthood brings a whole new meaning to God's love for us, doesn't it? Merry Christmas!
Candice,
You had me in tears! What an inspirational letter. I love yáll!
Post a Comment