So many people have been talking about "The Pioneer Woman." At first I kind of blew her off and thought the same thing about her and her blog as I did Facebook: I just don't have time for "something else." But, we all know what happened with that stance on facebook. So, needless to say, I broke down and visited her website. Before I knew it two hours had gone by. She is hilarious! Her blog retells her love story:how she went from "high heels to tractor wheels" and then she shares all the goings on at the farm from day to day. There is information from homeschooling to cooking to photography (and she is a great photographer!). So, if you have some time (or even if you don't) check her out- www.thepioneerwoman.com
We had a meal the other night of Meatloaf, fried okra, and The Pioneer Woman's mac n' cheese. It was completely southern and the only thing that would have made it better was mashed potatoes, but that would have crossed the line from southern into just plain unhealthy :) I rarely cook like that...meaning fried and starch infested, but it was a yummy change even if for one night. Let me just say...this mac n' cheese is FABULOUS!!! I linked the web page so if you click on the title of this blog, you should go straight to it. Here is the recipe:
Mac N' Cheese Made In Heaven (my personal title)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
4 cups dried macaroni
1/4 cup (1/2 stick, 4 tablespoons) butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups whole milk-I only had 2% and it was just fine (and hey, made me feel a little better for cooking such a bad bad meal-ha)
2 heaping teaspoons dry mustard (more if desired)
1 egg, beaten
1 pound cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt (more to taste)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
*Optional spices: cayenne pepper, paprika, thyme
Cook macaroni until very firm. Macaroni should be too firm to eat right out of the pot. Drain. In a small bowl, beat egg. In a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook mixture for five minutes, whisking constantly. Don’t let it burn. Pour in milk, add mustard, and whisk until smooth. Cook for five minutes until very thick. Reduce heat to low. Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking eggs. Whisk together till smooth. Pour egg mixture into sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth. Add in cheese and stir to melt. Add salts and pepper. Taste sauce and add more salt and seasoned salt as needed! DO NOT UNDERSALT. Pour in drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine.
Serve immediately (very creamy) or pour into a buttered baking dish, top with extra cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.
Yum. Yum Yum. Yum Yum Yum
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago







2 comments:
I'll have to try the mac 'n cheese. Dad loves it, but because I don't, I've just never fixed it much........ever. Maybe I can half the recipe so it won't make so much. Was it good as a leftover?
I haven't had any yet as leftover. I think it will need some milk in the reheating process to make it creamy again. This dish is best straight out of the oven hot. It tends to get sticky and not so creamy if left to sit.
Post a Comment