WHAT DID YOU JUST PUT IN MY MOUTH!?!?!?!?!
Apparently, he wasn't fond of them room temperature right out of the pantry...
We know this because at dinner time, I got feed him what Brian had not used this morning. It had been put in the refrigerator and turns out....he loves bananas....cold!!!
We know this because at dinner time, I got feed him what Brian had not used this morning. It had been put in the refrigerator and turns out....he loves bananas....cold!!!
This weekend at work will not go down as one of my favs. It was crazy busy and early Saturday morning a precious little girl went to be with her Creator. I couldn't hold back the tears on my way home as all the emotions came bursting forth. I've learned how to remain "professional" and "together" while at work, but once I leave...I let down that facade...
I LOVE my job. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I get an opportunity not many people get in a lifetime. I get to serve others in their time of greatest need. I get to teach and be taught. I get to love and be loved in return. I have found that since becoming a mom, it is much more difficult to cope, but I have slowly learned. The hardest part is watching a mom weep over her child. My brain immediately goes out of nurse mode and into mommy mode. Our children are everything to us.
Saturday night, I go back to work and walk into a nursing station that is in "go mode" because a child is seizing. It turns out the reason is progressive disease and it is probably a matter of days...DAYS!!! This child is about the size of Noah. This brings me to the other hard part of my job...taking care of children who are my children's age...talk about a reality check. I am not exempt: this nightmare could strike my family just as easily. Sometimes I pray and ask God why not me? Why have you chosen to spare me and my children? Why them? I am thankful he has granted us health and I pray often that he continues that blessing. However, I also know he always has a plan to bring himself glory, and it's not usually the one I would pick out for myself. It's usually something that will challenge and grow me.
I couldn't help Sunday night going into this infant's room and holding her. I held her close and sang "Jesus loves me" and "Amazing Grace" to her...because that's what I do with my own. I hold them close so they know they are special and loved. As she fell asleep on my shoulder, I thanked God for the opportunity he has given me to love others at a place like St. Jude. I prayed that she wouldn't be alone and that she might leave this world comforted by people who loved her. What a precious little life!
As you can imagine...those reality checks cause me to revel in my family all the more. I soak up every smile, every laugh, every hug and kiss and thank the Lord for them. I thought I'd share some precious time we had tonight together before Noah's bath. Now go and hug your babies (or your loved ones) tight and say a prayer for those who are walking a road much too tough to walk alone.







5 comments:
I really admire you, Candice. God has called you to a task few could complete with any composure at all. May He bless you and yours as you bless the families He brings to you. (Do tears damage keyboards?)
Very well put. Thanks for sharing your raw emotions. I will hug and kiss my sweet little boys many times and remember those suffering moms and dads who can't.
Once again Candice you put your thoughts into beautifulwords!! That's the one part of working at St.Jude that I don't miss. You were one of the most caring and compassionate nurses I had the privilege of working with. They are lucky to have you. After reading your post, I went and loved on my babies.
Wow Candice, what an amazing post! I can't even put into words what I am feeling right now. You are such a good writer and help me see life from a complete different perspective. THank you for that reality check. I have so many blessings...and I always need to be thankful!
Ps...I truly love your blog. IT is the cutest!
What a sweet post! I really admire you for your work. I loved the video of the kids! Too cute!
Love,
Telena
Post a Comment