Look at how fast we are growing!

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Do I Have Two Heads or Something?!?!

So with this being my third pregnancy, you'd think I'd be used to the stares, the comments people make totally without thinking...but apparently I'm not. In a span of two days here are the comments I received:

1. "Your belly button is poking out"-this from some random lady while eating at Cracker Barrel. I kindly told her it was my timer and that I was pretty much "done." I have to admit I've come up with some pretty creative come backs :)

2. "WOW! You are HUMONGOUS!!!!!-Seriously though, what do you say to that?....thanks?!?!?! It's been a lifelong goal to reach not just big, but humongous?!?!

3. "Girl, keep that thing in a bit longer-you're worrying me. I don't know how to deliver babies!"

4. "You stealing a watermelon? That's a felony ya know."-This was from a random man at the grocery store. On a side note, it took me a moment to process his statement as I was not even in the produce aisle :)

5. "Woe, that's a big booty mamma!" Yes, my son busted up in on me and felt the need to comment on the growing size of my butt. Maybe now I'll appreciate it's "littleness" after this pregnancy is over.

And my all time favorite aren't verbal at all....everyone you pass at this point just feels the need to look at your face and then in seemingly slow motion let their eyes fall to your belly at which time they either make the mistake of speaking (usually without thinking) or making a facial expression that screams "holy cow is that normal". I swear there was a man with a beer gut bigger than mine close to me and nobody looked at him like he had two heads!

I guess I've vented a bit (all in good humor, of course). But even though this pregnancy has been harder, I do not take for granted how wonderfully blessed I am to be able to experience the joys (and woes) of pregnancy. There are so many people who are unable to do this and would give anything in the world to carry a life inside of them...crazy comments from outsiders and all. So, while I do get a bit frustrated with people, I wouldn't trade this little life for anything! In the end, I will hold a precious gift and all those stares and crazy comments will be replaced with smiles and support. For a new life is a beautiful thing indeed!

5 comments:

Ashley & Stephen Bauch said...

oh gosh, how many of these comments did i hear when i was pregnant with jack. my favorite was, "did they get your due date wrong?" and most of the comments were from women!!

can't wait to see if baby duffy is a girl or boy-i'm thinking girl. i'll be thinking about you.

ashley

Anonymous said...

It's amazing to track just how many ways people can be rude and unthinking! You don't have to take it from Eli! Teach him NOW to say only kind words-his wife will bless you for it. When I had my foot surgery, I used a wheelchair at church one week. People treated me as if I were invisible, not making eye contact, or they bent down, rubbed my arm and talked to me like I wasn't quite bright! It was a real eye opener.

Anonymous said...

oh my word, candice, sooo needed to read that! I have been feeling and experiencing the exact SAME things! God bless you!!!

Heidi

Hilary said...

My fav when I was pregnant with Malcolm was, "You're really getting fat." I wanted say, "You're really get old." But I didn't. I also hated the folks who felt the need to touch my stomach as though by rubbing it a magic genie would pop out and grant them three wishes. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Candice! I know you look beautiful!!! Can't wait to meet him or her.

Love,
Carmen