Look at how fast we are growing!

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A WIFE FOR ELI

Yesterday my little boy (who is 4..and he recently has begun making sure everyone knows "and a half") asked me who his wife was. I was really taken back. Why is my 4 year old wondering who his wife will be?!?! I told him that I didn't know but that there was someone special for him out there that he would meet one day. To which he replied: (you won't believe this) "Yeah, God has a very special person picked out just for me and when I marry her I'll give her a ring just like Daddy gave you." Was I seriously having this conversation with my FOUR YEAR OLD?!?!?! I took advantage of it and we talked about how special it was when God gave you someone to share your life with...that you should treat them well (how he would like to be treated) and always with respect and love. We talked about how much fun they would have together as they did all the "firsts" that his daddy and I have done together. He listened and we chatted a little more and that was that. He went back to being four again and I was left sitting alone in the bathroom (where our conversation had taken place while I was getting him ready) confused but thankful all at the same time. I pray my little boy always feels comfortable coming to me and discussing "grown up things" even as he ages. And, I pray, that I will be able to have meaningful conversations full of depth that leave lasting impressions for him to take into this world as he becomes the man God intends for him to be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure hope you are somehow keeping a copy of all your blog entries. It will be a wonderful keepsake as your children get older. When God does send Eli his wife, you can look back to this time and see that God was using you to prepare him for her. And what a wonderful gift for your children...a record of their mother and her love for them.

Anonymous said...

Now is also the time to begin (if you're not already)praying for her and her parents. (Works for EK's husband, too.)Pray for her healthy growth, for wisdom for her parents as they train her up in the way she should go. This is a great way to spend those sleepless nights that are coming in a few months!

Hilary said...

Wow, what a deep thinker, and what a great teaching moment for you. I often realize that while I try to teach Malcolm so much, it's those unexpected questions that allow me to teach him the most. Oh, and I've already picked out a couple of girls for Malcolm. :)

Anonymous said...

This is for hilary-when they were young, I picked out husbands for my daughters. I'm so glad we don't live in that kind of society. As it turns out, I wouldn't have done anywhere nearly as good a job as they did without my direct help. The real fun will be to watch those girls for the next 20 years or so!