I wish I was as good a food photographer as my brother (oh well).
It's a food we didn't take the time to make (or rather clean up after) during the week, but on Saturday morning when the pace is slow and it's all about being together, we had this yummy breakfast!! Here's the recipe in case you want to give it a go at your house.
1 can of refrigerated biscuits (or more depending on how many your clan can eat)
bananas (cut into crescent shaped wedges)
oil (for frying-this IS the south)
powdered sugar
Heat your oil until ready for frying. Brian taught me that when you throw flour in it and it sizzles....it's ready. Don't get it too hot though. My stove top setting was medium. Open the refrigerated biscuit dough and cut biscuits into halves. Place one banana wedge in each biscuit and fold over into a crescent shape and seal. Place fritter into the hot oil and fry until golden brown, turning over to cook evenly. Remove fritter and place on papertowel covered plate to absorb excess oil, then roll in powdered sugar. Serve them up warm with a tall glass of milk! YUM!
So, what's your favorite childhood memory? I think my parents might be surprised at mine. Who knows when we are doing those little things as parents what will make the most lasting impressions!







8 comments:
Hilarious pictures! These sound SO yummy. I'll have to give it a try!
And the bananas make them healthy! Fruit.
Was this pre-Brandon? I read this and asked him if he remembered it and he said, "What are banana fritters?".....he said that u guys must have not woken him up. ha ha. Those look really yummy.
LOL :) WOW! I remember something Brandon doesn't?!?! I don't think it was pre Brandon cause then I wouldn't remember it! He had them. I'm quite sure of it!
I'm still laughing at the fact that Brandon doesn't even have a clue I made them, yet they are a wonderful childhood memory for you. I swear you two had completely different parents!
FYI - I used Hungry Jack "flaky" biscuits so I could peel apart the layers. Instead of cutting a biscuit in half vertically, I peeled them in half horizontally. It makes the crust not quite so thick.
Still laughing!
You asked for a favorite childhood memory.
1) Mother made me bananaless pudding in a leftover chicken pot pie tin. Back then I didn't like bananas. I liked the pudding and vanilla wafers, though. So Mother would make me my own individual dessert. What love!
2) Mother used to make two-layer cakes. She evidently didn't have cooling racks. She would turn the warm cakes out onto wax paper. When she removed the cooled cake from the wax paper, there was a tasty little film of cake left. I got to eat that. It was so good! I also got to lick the beaters after she made the icing.
3) I think we had something fried at every dinner meal back then. And I'm pretty sure we had fried potatoes at least 3 nights a week. Fried potatoes and onions...Mmmmm!!!! (We had no idea of cholesterol then)
Did you knwo you can't find hungry jack biscuits anymore?!?!? I'll have to try pilsbury "flaky" next time!
Candice...they have renamed the Hungry Jack Biscuits to Grand Jr's...still made by Pillsbury and same color can...I just made that discovery when I bought them to make pigs-n-the-blankets last weekend at the cabin. By the way, one of my favorite memories is licking the beaters and scraping the bowl when Mom made divinity icing!!! Linda
Post a Comment