BREAKING THROUGH
God REALLY knows me. Not that I never thought He didn't, but for some reason, I am always amazed when He nails something to me and uses my children to do it...especially when they were my source of frustration to begin with.
Anyway, this morning started off horrible!!! Eli was in a mood to be completely and utterly defiant for who knows what reason. It has been interesting to watch him grow. When he hit 2 1/2 there were obvious battles the two of us had. "The terrible twos" some call it. Well, I have learned that there is a major difference between the "terrible twos" and outright willful defiance that comes from that little heart of his. It is so evident and there is no mistaking the difference. This morning was willful defiance...disobedience...and name calling. I about lost it. In fact, I did with my husband on the phone (who was driving the Crichton soccer team to St. Louis for a game). He got an earful about how our son was about to die :) We have spanked him and taken every priviledge away from him that we can think to take and still there is no effect (or so it seems). Brian told Eli that if he chose to disobey anymore that I would keep him home from school (NOOOO!!!! I was thinking...I want him to go to school!!! I need space for a few hours!) Well, that's all it took (at least for the time being) He was a different kid. Why he doesn't listen to me I will never know. I'm not one to threaten and not follow through, so I know he knows I mean business. I just don't get it.
Well, on the way to school, Eli starts singing songs he learned at school. This was the one he "chose" first and the one God used to "repremand" me:
"Behold, behold, I stand at the door and knock, knock, knock
If anyone hears my voice and opens opens opens
I will come in."
I have been trying as of lately to control this child all on my own. I feel that I should be able to (I am his parent for crying out loud) but it was like God was reminding me that He is there and desires to help me with things as trivial as this. Raising a child isn't rocket science but it is a major responsibility:one that I wonder often if I am qualified for. Therefore I need God to help me raise Eli, to challenge Eli, to discipline Eli approproiately, and to love him unconditionally (just as Christ loves me). He offers, I must ask for help...and He will help.
So, once again, I am reminded of how often I try to do so much completely on my own and apart from the One who can sustain me through any trial no matter the size. Lesson learned...I'm quite sure I'll need it again in another week or two :) God is very patient with me and I am grateful.
BTW- Please be praying for the Tysons as they will be having their second little bundle of joy (that statement makes me laugh after talking about what a little "hellian" mine was today-ha ha) definitely by tomorrow. If she doesn't go into labor tonight she is heading off to the hospital for induction. She has been having alot of contractions so it's just a matter of time I guess. Pray for an easy, smooth delivery for Rachel and great care for Abel while Adam and Rachel are at the hospital. I'll post when the new little one arrives.
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago







No comments:
Post a Comment