Look at how fast we are growing!

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, October 08, 2010

Cake Ball Lollipops

Let me start by saying I am NO Bakerella so don't expect too terribly much, but for just a run of the mill mom trying to send something creative to school...it didn't turn out too bad! These are super easy, different from the same ol' cupcake, and your child's teacher will probably thank you immensely for not sending in something that makes a complete mess! Here's what you'll need:

One cake mix (any flavor) and a tub of icing (any flavor-hopefully one that compliments your cake)

melting chocolate and sprinkles
A styrofoam board, lollipop sticks, cellophane bags and twist ties


First, bake your cake according to the directions. Allow it to cool and then crumble it up into a bowl. Mix in your tub of icing until you have something that looks like this:

Next, roll into balls and place on a cookie sheet and poke your lollipop sticks into them. Then, off to the freezer they go. Yep, you heard me. The deep freeze. I left mine for a couple of hours. If you don't freeze them, you have cake balls crumbling and falling off sticks like crazy. So take my word for it and freeze them.

Melt your chocolate and dip each cake ball into the chocolate and then into the sprinkles. I was going to actually sprinkle them on, but dipping was easier...and it covered a mulitude of sins. Remember, I'm no bakerella. My chocolate covering isn't all smooth and perfect like hers. I've gotta find out how you do that, but than again, I really don't care. A covering of sprinkles works for me!

This is where your styrofoam board comes in handy. Stick each one into the styrofoam and allow them to dry. You have to work fast!

Once they are dry, just wrap a little cellophane bag around each one and Voila! You have one super cute, unique, relatively non messy birthday treat to take to school! The styrofoam works well for transport too!

So you see? Super easy and your child (and teacher) will love you! Happy baking!


2 comments:

leemeandthegirls said...

LOVE these! They turned out so cute! Was Eli excited????

Candice Duffy said...

Oh yes. Not sure what he was excited about more...the treats or the fish tank he's been begging for and got. Yep...it's the only pet I can handle right now but he's in heaven and that makes me happy :)