Look at how fast we are growing!

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Becoming a Giver

My children have developed a case of the "I wants." Everything they see...they want...and they HAVE to have...and I mean EVERYTHING. Brian came home talking about Operation Christmas Child (http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/OCC/Pack_A_Shoe_Box). We decided that we would take the kids to the store so they could pick things out to fill up a box for another child their age. So, tonight we packed everyone up and headed to Target. Eli and Ella Kate were so excited. They love Target...maybe more than their mommy :) However, their minds were focused on what they wanted and not on what another child might like. As we began our shopping, we heard alot of "this is cool" and "I want this." We walked through every aisle in the toy department as well as the craft section and hygiene section picking things out. It didn't take long for the kids to catch on. Before long, they were saying "my girl would love this" or "I think this is neat, I bet he will too." All of a sudden, our trip to Target wasn't filled with selfish desire, but an attitude of giving. It was nice to not be hearing a gazillion "can I have this?" comments. I absolutely HATE the rack of stuff at the check out counter. It is rare that we leave without some kind of fall out over the fact that mommy didn't buy gum, or candy or the doodle pro. We actually made it through check out without a single request?!?!?! I couldn't believe it. I hope Eli and Ella Kate can begin to understand starting now that this season is more than getting, more than traditions, more than cookies and lights and santa. It's about being thankful, and giving of yourself. I'd like to keep the learning experiences going and find some way to be able to still do the things we love, but with a giving motivation behind it. I want my children to choose to be different in a world that screams "me, me, me." I want their first reaction to be that of a giver and not a taker. We took our first step towards that tonight, and I liked what I saw in my two little ones.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just think, a childhood filled with this kind of giving will turn your children into adults who will want to give as well. You have taken the first step toward helping your little ones see the world as a place full of people with needs...Mom

Hilary said...

I'm looking forward to Malcolm being old enough to understand the shoebox thing. I recently read Creative Correction by Lisa Whelhel on the reccomendation of another mom. She has a ton of great ideas for getting rid of the "give-mes". One of her suggestions is giving them a bag of coins at the beginning of a shopping trip. Everytime they act up or whine they give you one coin. At the end of the trip they can use whatever money is left over to buy a treat. Anyway, I LOVED the book and have used several of her ideas.