Look at how fast we are growing!

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Summer Break Begins!

Today was the first official day of summer break! We celebrated by going to play at the new playground at Shelby Farms. It is really neat and I can tell already we are going to have many more fun times over there! If you are in the Memphis area and haven't been, you should really go check it out. Here are a few tips:

1. Take lots and lots of sunscreen! It's already in the 90's here, so it's going to be a long, hot summer. There's not a ton of shade here yet. I am really excited to see this area in a few years and here's why-You can see a little of what I'm talking about in the first picture below, but there is a tunnel of sorts built that is silver and looks cage like. I wish I had gotten a good picture but hey, I was outnumbered 4 to 1 so you're lucky to have these few :) These tunnels have walkways that lead to each section of the playground. Along the outside of the "cage" there are newly planted vines that I am guessing are being trained to grow up and over the cage tunnels. All that greenery, fully grown, is going to make for a lot of shade which will be super nice!

2. Wear tennis shoes-most everything is on a serious incline and I tell you from experience today that flip flops, while stylish and completely wonderful summer attire, are not the best thing to wear here, unless you LIKE twisting your ankle :)

3. Bring a change of clothes-the sand and water area is quite the popular place to play but mark my words...YOU WILL LEAVE WITH WET, SANDY, DIRTY CHILDREN! The bathrooms are right next to the playground, so running in and having the option of changing into something more...well....clean for the car ride home is nice.

4. Bring a blanket or towel for sliding. In early spring and fall, the slides will be nice and cool, but as we learned today, when the sun is beating down on them, they are HOT!! OUCHY HOT!! Noah went down once and then wouldn't go anymore because they were so hot. Something to sit on while you fly down over and over again would be much more comfortable during these summer months.

5. Don't forget your water bottles! Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate so no one gets cranky and overheated :) This pointer I actually did today and I'm glad I remembered it.



This is where the water comes in. Everyone had to have a turn pumping the water! The water flows down wooden "tables" that connect until it empties into the sand (see Maggie below).


Maggie getting in on the sand action. I think I'm gonna have a beach lovin' girl!


Maggie is WALKING everywhere now. She really liked walking up and down this tunnel-probably because it was shady!


I think this was one of Noah's favorite things. He held onto the rope and walked down the incline...



...then he ran back up through the "monster toes". That's what he called these :) His imagination cracks me up sometimes! You can see one of the many slides in the background. Eli was the only one brave enough to keep sliding despite the searing metal.


There is so much more there to do that I just didn't get pictures of...remember? I was outnumbered 4 to 1 :) There's spider web rope walks, swings, a tree fort, and more! It was so much fun! The playground opens at 9 am and closes at 7pm I think so definitely find some time to go play this summer! Lots of fun to be had here!


Once we got home, we had lunch and then went outside and enjoyed some nice COLD popsicles.

Maggie Beth did NOT want to be left out of this!

I really didn't think she'd be into popsicles or hold onto them. Well, I was WRONG. I gave her most of my fudgesicle, and I'm not sure what I thought the bib was going to accomplish for me. She was covered in sweet, sticky chocolate!

After she finally finished the last bite, I just picked her up and plopped her in the tub where she was then stripped down and scrubbed clean...and I started yet another load of laundry-it's never ending with a family of 6! :)


As I finish up this blog post, the two little ones are snoozing (going on 2 hours now). I think our exciting funfilled morning wore them out! Neither one of them protested when I said it was naptime. And today was only the beginning. We have an entire summer of activites and vacations ahead of us and I am thrilled I get to enjoy it with these four wonderful little people!! I hope the start of your summer break has been just as great as ours!


1 comment:

The Campbells said...

That place looks like so much fun!!!